THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER UPDATED

Please see http://www.scotland-landscapes.com/new-articles/ for our continued blog and browse our full site at http://www.scotland-landscapes.com.

Thanks for your support
Jason Bonniface, Scotland-Landscapes.com

Tuesday 23 March 2010

28th Feb 2010 - Ben Loyal Ski Tour

Ben Loyal is not my favourite hill, whoever suggested the description "the Queen of Scottish Hills" or some such phrase had a different outlook from me. To my mind neighbouring Ben Hope is a far superior hill, but then, I'm probably its biggest fan. There was, however, a load of snow about on the 28th Feb and I needed something close to a ploughed road, and a ski tour of Ben Loyal had crossed my mind before. Ben Loyal surely couldn't get any better than under almost complete snow cover? I decided to start from the southern end of the mountain and make for the summit, An Caisteal, via Carn an Tionail. There are photos, a map and some description of the day below:
Lettermore on the east side of Ben Loyal with the rising sun lighting the summit ridge
My starting point near Inchkinloch
My route on to and off Ben Loyal's main ridge. I skinned past Loch na Beiste making for the south-east flank of Carn an Tionail.
The summit of Ben Loyal, An Caisteal, a wonderful granite tor (despite my earlier comments)
Ben Loyal or Mont Blanc?
Ben Hope from the summit of Ben Loyal
.....and a more detailed view of Ben Hope's wild eastern corries
  I hadn't planned on visiting the 558m Cnoc nan Cuilean but on the approach from the south its snow smothered south-western slopes looked amazing and I had to ski them on the way back south from Ben Loyal. 
A pleasant descent from Carn an Tionail spoilt near the top by icey sastrugi
Cnoc nan Cuilean. Its snowy south west side on the right
Back to Ben Loyal from the foot of the Cnoc
Beautifully patterned sastrugi at just 450m altitude on Cnoc nan Cuilean
Ben Klibreck
Plenty of windslab
East from Cnoc nan Cuilean across Sutherland to Ben Griam Mor and Beg
Nice powder on the ski descent of Cnoc nan Cuilean
Ben Loyal from the Kyle of Tongue causeway later in the afternoon
All in all a very special day!
See more photos at Scotland-Landscapes.com
Prints of all Scotland-Landscapes photos are available at Photobox
Jason Bonniface, 23/03/2010

© Scotland-Landscapes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment